From The Heretic Knowledge Vault
Wheee~ Weekend at SakuraCon, so, wasn't really availible to help stop the spammers. Note on spammers, nice work, btw. Maybe it's time to start putting the spammer's name in the comment when you revert the articles back to what they were? 1 time should do it. Mainly just to get it blocked a little faster (Will still check the history to see.) and keep a running tab, sorta. -spiketail 20:55, 27 March 2006 (CST)
Spammers are active again. Didn't find a button to revert to a previous version. Thought about it and deleted the stuff manually. - Roland Weber 19:45, 22 August 2006 (CEST)
I'm thinking some ideas out and post something in a bit. Gotta get dinner ready for the old lady --Slamlander 09:40, 22 January 2007 (CST)
- I just now noted that many of the images are on imageshack. Also that there is no image upload facility. Why is that? Slamlander 02:55, 23 January 2007 (CST)
TIME OF DESTRUCTION
You are correct!
I'm gonna keep on Meji's page for now, you tackle another section alright? --Kestenvarn 19:16, 15 September 2006 (CDT)
Also, you and Spiky have been commended on the ES site now, because you guys have done SO much. Awesome! --Impy 00:32, 19 December 2006 (CST)
Regardng your idea, Wikipedia got too many false positives that way. Turned out to be very bad and high maint. Yes, this version is too old to do it. I am investigating the best possible options now. I owe Hilary an estimate but have been busy with new old business (DNS Warz politics ... again! Being reminded on why I walked away from the ICANN DNSO and the TLDA and why I turned down a seat on the IETF/IAB, power freaks ... bah!)
The best way is to implement captcha but this version can't do that either. The latest MediaWiki requires an upgrade to PHP5 and because it is on the same server, this puts the store at risk. We cannot risk FUBARing the store. I am looking into the highest MediaWiki version that we can implement on the current PHP version.
- Slamlander 12:34, 24 February 2007 (CST)
- Thanks for backing me on that. I'm working on that common communications channel. For now, Slamlander email should work.
- Slamlander 10:48, 18 March 2007 (CST)
- One week, for me, offline and we're getting clobbered. I'm still not done with the move and can't do much until I get sign-off on the old place. :( Slamlander 23:17, 13 April 2007 (CDT)
A Thank You Note
Good idea on the Order of Heretical monks and thanks for adding me on the list!
Elrond (also known as Pillaroforder in the forum)
(Oops,did I thank the wrong person, too hasty, sorry, I better thank Slamlander right away)
- I just killed a bunch of the six-char user IDs. I suspect it's the same user. First they test the ID, because it's been around so long, and then about a day or so later, they modify a page. I'm catching them on the test only because the page they test is on my watched list. So, I get the notification even if they manage to bugger the history. Personally, I think its someone who has cracked the host because they are able to bypass a lot of the Wiki's tracking systems. But, I have a shitload of pages on my watched-list and I actually review each edit on those pages for potential vandal/spammer activity. So, I get notifications that even the history system doesn't get. Slamlander 06:07, 5 June 2007 (CDT)
- I just nailed User:XdqDoj for vandalising Talk:Warp gate From now on, as I catch and rollback these guys, I will name the pages I caught them messing up in the block's comments. I should have been doing that all along. Do you think that we need a Sysop's block policy and procedures page? -- Slamlander 15:55, 7 June 2007 (CDT)
- I'm getting really tired and impatient with this. Half temped to pre-emptively ban all six-char user IDs. Slamlander 08:49, 8 June 2007 (CDT)
- Starting at the top now. This is gonna take a while. Slamlander 13:14, 10 June 2007 (CDT)
- Just finished the B's, starting on the C's after dinner. Slamlander 13:42, 10 June 2007 (CDT)
- Good idea, protecting the pages. It's mostly been you and me doing most edits these days anyway. Do the talk pages first.- Slamlander 13:47, 10 June 2007 (CDT)
- While you are at it, you probably should upgrade Elrond (pillar of order) to Sysop as well, for the moment. Slamlander 14:51, 10 June 2007 (CDT)
- I just finished A-J and it's 22:46h CET here. Done for the night :( Let me know where you finish up so I can complete the cycle. Also, the LocalSettings.PHP changes should be implemented and I haven't heard from Hilary Slamlander 15:47, 10 June 2007 (CDT)
'Trouble never comes alone' - I have a big exam this wednesday so I can't be of much help, sorry. I'll see what I can do after that, so best of luck on the home front. Elrond 00:39, 11 June 2007 (CDT)
The spammer problem
I have an exam next week, as well as a few other arrangements coming up, so I don't know how much time I'll be able to spend on the wiki. I'd be happy to help deal with the spammers, though. Tau Wedel 02:06, 11 June 2007 (CDT)
I've very recently come into a lot of spare time, so I'll keep an eye out for any changes to the pages that aren't protected yet and reverse accordingly until a sysop wanders in for the ban. Tiamat 08:50, 11 June 2007 (CDT)
- If you do that, let on e of us know that you did it and to whom. Slamlander 13:57, 11 June 2007 (CDT)
I'm noob at admin/moderator thing, so please tell me how you 'revert' changes from latest spammed version to previous clean version. Is there a simple trick to it or is it done manually? BTW we got two new spammers. Elrond 04:11, 29 June 2007 (CDT)
Never mind I found rollback button on closer inspection. Doh! Elrond 04:16, 29 June 2007 (CDT)
- Look at Category:Elves and Category:Humans. I've merged the article and the category into the category page. This will automate the list of articles for each cat into the reference and I've perm-linked them with REDIRECTs, so that this will all be transparent to the casual reader.
- I'm looking into Wiki migration issues. Impy is going to a completely new platform and we will have decent security and the CategoryTree module.
New contact info
I just changed my Slamlander@Livejournal.com mail address to point into the nether. This is due to SPAM. My new contact email will work a lot better.
How come the Healing page is protected? -- nothing big, I just wanted to note that the population of Tsuiraku probably has elven traces in the blood, so "odd thaumaturgical reactions" might be due to that rather than a random human thing in general. -- Mindstalk 01:10, 4 July 2008 (CDT)
I'm fixing them this week --Slamlander 16:55, 5 October 2008 (CDT)
The '>' character is intended to let the reader know which wiki they are in. Switch to the other wiki and you'll see that the '>' moves to Jordan's Lab.